FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Contracts and Grants Associate
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Supervisor: Senior Finance & Administrative Officer
Job Type: Full time
- The Contracts & Grants Associate is responsible for supporting the grants activities from the Yobe office for the Addressing Education in Northeast Nigeria (AENN) Project.
- The C&G Associate will monitor the implementation of activities, reporting, communications, and other functions and aid the SFAO in successful execution of the AENN project.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct routine monitoring and evaluation of grantee activities, validating and documenting activities, providing clear feedback in areas which may require improvement to achieve AENN program goals, and safeguarding against any potential or perceived misuse of funds.
- Organize and maintain meticulous records for each grantee, tracking and ensuring all necessary documentation (including individual grant agreements, milestones certifications, and payment requests/vouchers) are on file and are implemented on schedule.
- Act as primary contact point for all AENN grantees regarding technical inputs, progress on implementation, grant award inquiries, deliverables and milestones, budgets, payments, documentation, and compliant grant close-out.
- Serve as liaison between grantees, AENN technical/financial staff, and the FHI 360 Country Office/HQ in order to clearly document and address any necessary issues or challenges encountered during grant implementation.
- Work closely with individual grantees to identify and rectify any delays or problems encountered in the implementation of the grants, ensuring issues are reported immediately to the SFAO and appropriate technical managers.
- Participate in the design and solicitation process for future awards as well as the selection of additional grantees; assume a lead role to ensure the process is well-managed and conducted in a timely manner to eliminate administrative funding gaps between each new set of grant awards.
- Ensure grantee adherence to FHI 360 and donor funding requirements and act as a mentor as needed on USAID/FHI 360 regulations.
- Assist headquarters staff (back-stop and Contracting Officer) with accurate tracking and reporting for federally-mandated reports as they relate to recipients of US Government funding.
- Manage the compliant close-out of grants awarded by the AENN Project.
- Oversee the coordination of timely payment based on approved milestones; work closely with grantees to enable CBOs to complete any delayed or incomplete milestones.
- Assist with the financial oversight and review/processing of payment documentation (receipts) for any cost reimbursable AENN grants (standard grants) as necessary.
- Collaborate with program staff to establish the program’s annual objectives and outline how to allocate the budget.
- Design and deliver assistance and training as appropriate for future (FY19/20) grants programs to educate grantees on grant mechanism-specific (ie, FOG or standard grant) US Government regulations and requirements and provide mentorship in writing grant proposals, budgets, and obtaining donor funding.
- Draft regular reports on the grantees’ progress and activities for senior and technical management as well as appropriate staff at Washington, DC headquarters.
- Contribute to project work plans, budgets, and annual/quarterly reporting.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- B.Sc/BA degree in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration or its recognized equivalent, and 1 – 3 years relevant experience.
- Masters degree in Finance, Business Administration or its recognized equivalent, and 1 year relevant experience.
- Good working knowledge of donor contracts and grants regulations is essential.
- Demonstrated success in multicultural environments is an advantage.
- Experience must reflect the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Demonstrated experience and familiarity with grant-making mechanisms and grantee management; experience administering FOGs is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of and prior experience with US Government rules, requirements, and regulations (such as familiarity with ADS 303) on solicitations and second-tier funding by prime recipients.
- Ability to effectively work independently.
- High-level organization and documentation skills, including the ability to track and manage the activities of others (grantees).
- Ability and willingness to travel outside of Maiduguri on a frequent basis.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as MS Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Excellent diplomatic and communication skills, including strong written and oral abilities in English.
The following is a summary of fringe benefits provided by FHI 360 to eligible employees:
- Comprehensive medical plans (PPOs)
- Dental insurance
- Vision coverage
- Group life and AD&D insurance
- Health savings account
- Long-term disability
- Medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Dependent life insurance
- Business travel insurance
- Supplemental personal accident insurance
- Supplemental disability
- Life insurance
- Paid vacation, sick and parental leave
- 403(b) retirement plan
- Pension plan
Other benefits (will vary depending on work location):
- Public transportation program
- On-site fitness center
- Local credit union membership
- Health and wellness program
- Employee assistance program
- Qualified tuition programs (529 plans)
- Bicycle subsidy
- Legal assistance plan
- Pet insurance.
Application Closing Date
11th November, 2018.
Note: This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.