Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organisation operating for over 35 years who is committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: water, food and shelter.
SI has started activities in North-eastern Nigeria in August 2016 in the fields of Wash and is now intervening in 4 areas of the state for Wash and Shelter activities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Sanitation Officer
Contract duration: 3 months (with possibility of extension)
Line Manager: WATSAN Team Leader
Beginning of contract: ASAP
Probation period: 1 month
- Under the supervision of the WATSAN team leader, Sanitation Officer will lead and supervise work projects, respecting deadlines and technical requirements.
- The Sanitation Officer will be in charge to implement and follow-up the construction of block or shared family latrines, showers and drainage systems in the host community and IDP camps.
- According to the methodology of the organisation and the context, the activities will be directly implemented by Solidarites International or subcontracted.
- According to the context the Sanitation Officer could be in charge of supervising the drilling or rehabilitation of water points.
Set-up and operational monitoring:
- Under the supervision of the WASH PM, take part in logistical and administrative organization and the planning and preparation of job sites
- Ensure the construction and/or the maintenance of construction work using Solidarités International tools (in particular):
- Take part in the identification of sites where work is to be carried out
- Recruit and train the workforce and daily workers
- Allocate the on-site workforce according to instructions given by the team leader
- Carry out work according to technical guidelines and estimates
- Respect deadlines established with his/her line manager
- Supervise operational teams, contractors and/or communities, and ensure the best use of available resources
- Organize, plan and supervise community participation
- Anticipate any problems associated with the management of his/her activity and propose solutions to avoid them
- Manage the supply of worksite materials by collaborating with the logistics department
- Report to the project manager and/or team leader on the state of decentralized stock (‘field’ stock) on his/her sites.
- Take part to the evaluation of the technical competence of contractors
- Respect Solidarités administrative procedures before, during and after each work project
- Establish safety and security measures for each activity and ensure that these rules are respected by the workforce under his/ her supervision and by the population
- Keep his/her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to his/her team leader and/or project manager
- Take part in the drafting of project progress reports under the supervision of his/her team leader
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying-out of activities and to project objectives
- Report to the team leader regarding the development of activities and specific tasks that he/she has been assigned, any problems encountered and the quality of relations with the beneficiaries
- Report back all information or problems linked to his/her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues
- Listen to the local population and authorities in order to identify any needs, complaints, or major events which could affect the activities of Solidarités
- Analyze the humanitarian situation by taking into account protection issues/Do No Harm to the population
- Collaborate with local authorities and administration
- Take part in restitution meetings and clusters on request
Personal abilities :
- Professional experience: 1 year of experience in similar position (NGO/Private or Public sector)
- Languages: English, Hausa (Kanuri a plus)
- Personal qualities: reliable, honest, very good organization, resistance to stress, good interpersonal skills (communication), team player
- Training: University degree in Civil Engineering or Sanitation/Hygiene Engineering. Relevant experience on latrine construction or any building, structure and edifice of civil engineering
- Project related skills : good knowledge of the project cycle, project implementation, project follow-up
- Microsoft Office ( Excel and Word skills), GIS and drawing software (autocad)
- Management related skills
Salary and Conditions
In accordance with SI’s Terms of Employment; for national staff in Nigeria
Application Closing Date
12th November, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualificed candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Candidate should select “Sanitation Officer”, fill the form and attach their CV
- The CV attached must be named with your name and surname.
- As position is required as soon as possible, Solidarites International reserves the right to select a candidate and finalize the recruitment before the final date.