Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 100 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on vulnerable children, agriculture, health and HIV, extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
Catholic Relief Services are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Country Representative
Req Number: I4971
Position Type: Full Time
Position Status: Regular
Reports To: Regional Director – CARO
- CRS has worked in Nigeria for more than 25 years and is one of the leading International Non-Governmental Organizations (INGOs) in the country
- Through local partners, CRS has implemented programs in nearly all of the country’s 36 states, focusing on agriculture, health, WASH, livelihoods and emergency response and recovery.
- CRS’ main programming is concentrated in the northeast region of the country implementing both humanitarian response and recovery programming. CRS is also managing a significant malaria grant financed by The Global Fund as a Principle Recipient (PR) in select states across different regions of Nigeria.
- As Country Representative you will lead, manage and advance the programming and operations objectives and the mission of Catholic Relief Services (CRS) to serve the poor and vulnerable
- Your strategic leadership will enable you to advance CRS’ reputation and impact while you proactively manage security and mitigate security risks and liabilities.
Education and Experience
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
- Master’s Degree in International Development, International Relations or a related field.
- 10 or more years’ experience managing complex relief and development programs.
- Demonstrated experience successfully managing a variety of complex, high-value projects from multiple international donors, including USAID, Global Fund, DFID, and UN agencies; understanding of relevant donor regulations.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Experience working with Church partners a plus.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment. Experience coaching and mentoring senior program staff.
- Ability to represent the agency at high levels.
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Excellent relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams. Coaching/mentoring skills.
- Strong communications and presentation skills; able to develop tailored and persuasive messaging for varied audiences.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented. Internal Regional Office and headquarters staff, other CRS colleagues, as applicable.
Key Working Relationships:
- External Host country government officials at all levels, Catholic Church leadership, donors, heads of international agencies, partners, etc.
- Supervisory Deputy Country Representative (DCR) – Programs, Deputy Country Representative (DCR) – Operations, Deputy Country Representative (DCR) — North East Zone, Chiefs of Party (COP), Auditor
- Travel Required: 40% in-country travel with occasional trips outside of Nigeria
- Required/Desired Foreign Languages: English.
- Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
- These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship.
- Champion and lead the vision, mission and strategy. Lead the design of medium and long-term goals. Ensure program and operations leads coordinate their objectives in alignment with the strategy.
- Ensure that all projects meet and exceed donor expectations and are designed and implemented for maximum impact and reach. Ensure the CRS program quality standards are adhered to per MEAL policy and procedures.
- Effectively manage senior programming and operations talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching and mentoring for HOP and Head of Operations. Strategically tailor individual development plans and complete performance assessments for direct reports. Oversee the development of staffing plans for large and complex projects and the recruitment process of senior staff.
- Lead the development of strategic partnerships with national and international organizations that leverages resources, reputation, and expertise in line with CRS partnership principles. Ensure strong representation to key stakeholders, including Church partners, local and national government, US government and international donors.
- Manage and mitigate risk through monitoring national and regional issues that may impact staff and programming. Ensure all staff understand and adhere to CRS staff safety and security policies and plans, and ensure the updating of such plans.
- Promote, uphold and model a commitment to the efficient use of agency and donor resources. Ensure compliance in operations functions. Provide oversight and analysis regarding monthly expenditures.
- Lead and direct the pursuit of strategic growth opportunities, prepositioning and capture planning.
- Create and maintain proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to deficiencies. Promote accountability, learning and knowledge management overseeing application of the MEAL policy, as well as cross-sectoral and cross-department learning.
What We Offer
- CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online