African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Interpreter (English), CHLS2
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50001502
- The Corporate Services and Human Resources Vice-Presidency (CHVP) ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of the Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurement, language services, business continuity and, health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The primary role of the Language Services Department is to ensure, as required by the Bank’s Agreement, the accessibility in the two working languages of the Bank (English and French, and on occasion Arabic and Portuguese) of all issues and documents submitted to the Senior Management and governing bodies of the Bank, for efficient decision-making aimed at the achievement of the Bank’s mission.
- The Interpretation Division (CHLS.2) provides interpretation services for all statutory bodies of the Bank (Boards of Governors, Boards of Directors and their subsidiary organs), various organizational units of the Banks, as well as for meetings co-organized by the Bank with external stakeholders and development partners.
- Under the guidance of the Manager of the Interpretation Division, the Senior Interpreter (English) will provide faithful, appropriate and well-delivered interpretation at various meetings and functions of the Bank Group and generally contribute to enhanced communication within the Bank as well as between Bank officials and other stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide faithful, appropriate and well-delivered interpretation into English (simultaneous, consecutive and other modes) at various meetings and functions of the Bank Group (interviews, induction, on-boarding, seminars, training sessions and engagements with other international organizations and stakeholders of the Bank Group, among others);
- Carry out terminology research and prepare glossaries on general emerging themes;
- Contribute to the preparation of special glossaries on Bank Group Annual Meetings;
- Cover study tours of Senior Advisers and Advisers to Regional Member Countries;
- Provide as and when required, accurate and quality interpretation into French;
- Perform any other duties within his/her area of competence as may be assigned by the Division Manager.
- At least a Master’s Degree in Conference Interpreting or a related field;
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant practical working experience as an interpreter. Experience in an international organization will be an asset;
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team;
- Ability to carry out terminology research and prepare glossaries on a wide range of themes;
- Ability to interact with clients of the Division;
- Good knowledge of the use of Bank’s standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English and French. Ability to interpret into the ‘B’ language(s) will be an advantage;
YOU MAY WANT TO APPLY FOR:
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment
Application Deadline 16th July, 2020.