The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
Applications are invited for the position below:
Job Title: Deputy Chairperson
Location: Headquaters (Addis Ababa, Ethiopia)
Reports to: Chairperson of the African Union Commission Directorate / Department Bureau of the Chairperson
Job Grade: SP2
Job Family: Elected Official
Level: Seven (7)
- Under the authority of the Chairperson, the Deputy Chairperson of the African Union Commission is responsible for administration and finance
- This is a dynamic and transformational leadership role with the responsibility for ensuring effective and efficient administrative functioning and financial management within a strong fiduciary, performance and accountability framework
- The Deputy Chairperson deputizes for the Chairperson when needed and will act as the Chairperson in his or her absence
- The Deputy Chairperson shall have a high commitment to pan-African values and the guiding principles of the African Union.
YOU MAY WANT TO APPLY FOR:
- As Controlling Officer, and under delegated authority from the Accounting Officer of the Union (the Chairperson of the Commission), the Deputy Chairperson is responsible for the day to day finance and administrative operations of the respective Organs and institutions of the Union;
- Chairs all Commission meetings and deliberations in the absence of the Chairperson with the aim of ensuring clear and inclusive submission of information by attendees and direct discussions towards achieving consensus and way forward;
- Assists the Chairperson in undertaking measures aimed at promoting and popularizing the AU’s objectives and enhance its performance;
- Assists the Chairperson in submitting reports requested by the Assembly, Executive Council, Permanent Representatives Committee (PRC), committees and any other organs.
- Assists the Chairperson, in conjunction with the PRC, in preparing AU budget and strategic planning documents that ensures optimal availability of resources required to deliver on AU’s objectives.
- Facilitates the functioning, decision-making and reporting of all AU organ meetings, and ensure conformity and harmony with agreed AU policies, strategies, programmes and projects.
- Assists the Chairperson to consult and coordinate with Member States’ governments, other institutions and the RECs on the AU’s activities, and carry out the AU’s diplomatic representations.
- Assists in preparing the annual report on the AU and its organs’ activities to inform on the progress of AU projects and programmes and provide recommendations on the way forward.
- Assists the Chairperson of the Commission and contributes towards making Africa a significant partner in the global level as well as an integrated bloc within the continent.
- Drives the implementation of the AU Commission’s administrative, budgetary and financial reforms to deliver high performing effective administrative, budget and financial management services in compliance with established rules, regulations and procedures within a strong fiduciary and accountability framework;
- Drives performance across all Commission Service Directorates to ensure high quality service delivery for the efficient and effective delivery of the Commission’s work program and the conduct of AU statutory meetings;
- Drives efforts to ensure that decisions issued by the AU Assembly and the Executive Council relating to administration and finance operations of the AU Commission are implemented in a timely and effective manner;
- Provides regular reports to the Chairperson, to keep him/her informed of any developments and performance in the administration and finance operations of AUC;
- Leads the development, establishment and implementation of effective and efficient resource management policies, procedures, internal controls and systems for identifying, measuring, monitoring and controlling AUC’s operations to drive the implementation of AU strategic priorities;
- Drives efforts to identify innovations that can be adopted to improve service delivery within the African Union Commission;
- Drives the achievement of operational results in line with annual budgets and plans and is responsible for the, analysis and interpretation of the Commission’s performance data;
- Promotes and maintains sound corporate governance, ethics, integrity, value for money in resource management, diversity, inclusion and corporate social responsibility standards of the AU Commission;
- Leads the development of continental policy frameworks and programs on African citizens and diaspora matters; and
- Carries out any other activities as may be determined by the Chairperson of the African Union Commission.
- Executive Council of the African Union
- Permanent Representatives Committee
- Other AU Organs
- Africa Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) Secretariat
- Chairperson of the Commission
- Director General
- Staff Association
- Internal administrative bodies
- Administrative Tribunal.
- AU Member States
- Regional Economic Communities (RECs)
- International development partners
- African Development Bank
- African private sector
- African Diaspora
- African Civil Society Organisations
- African Research Institutions and Policy Think Tanks
YOU MAY WANT TO APPLY FOR:
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Management, Finance, Accounting, Human Resource Management, Law, or closely related field from a recognized institution.
- A Ph.D in Public Administration, Business Administration, Management, Accounting, Finance, Human Resource
- Management, or closely related field from a recognized institution is an added advantage.
- Have not less than twenty (20) years of relevant professional experience with at least ten (10) years served in a progressive senior leadership role preferably in an intergovernmental organisation or national government / public service, international or regional institution
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages. Fluency in another AU working language is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated transformational leadership experience with strategic vision and proven skills in managing complex organizations at the national, regional or international level;
- Demonstrated record of setting clear standards for accountability, probity, value for money and risk management and zero tolerance to fraud and corruption; for ensuring sound and transparent financial management; and delivering continuous improvement, impact, efficiency and effectiveness;
- Demonstrated intellectual leadership, creativity and proven ability to propose new ideas and lead on new ways of working across silos in a complementary and synergistic way for a prosperous and peaceful Africa;
- Proven track record of change management and accomplishments at the regional, national or international level with strong resource mobilization, political and diplomatic skills;
- Demonstrated ability to lead a multi-cultural team and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization;
- Proven ability to inspire, encourage, build trust and confidence and build consensus, stimulate effective campaigns and drive collective action among a broad spectrum of people and organizations.
Drives Strategic Vision and Purpose:
- Anticipates future trends and artfully crafting a transformational and impactful vision that inspires action and drives a collective sense of purpose
- Able to discern when to inquire, advocate, drive, or resolve
- Proactively identifies and prioritizes the key issues involved to facilitate executive decision-making and makes well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data is limited, or solutions produce unpleasant consequences; perceives the impact and implications of decisions.
Developing Organizational Capability:
- Champions organizational learning and development to ensure that the Commission is well positioned to meet future leadership needs and mentors others to enhance their development.
- Acts as a catalyst for organizational change
- Influences others to translate vision into action and identifies change opportunities and champion organizational change initiatives – consistently looks for ways to improve the Commission’s performance
- Creates a harmonious environment that promotes a sense of belonging, creates a community of trust and enables respect, dignity and tolerance
- Able to resolve conflicts arising to competing objectives, limited resources, or differing perspectives and seeks amicable solutions.
Strategic Risk Management:
- Protects the Commission’s image and reputation by making risk-intelligent decisions and using sound judgement in highly complex situations based on an assessment of the risks and benefits, impacts.
- Identifies and develops sustainable networks and builds alliances; collaborates across boundaries to build strategic relationships and achieve common goals to foster organizational goals through proactive engagement with key stakeholders
- Perceives organizational and political reality and acts accordingly.
Drives Accountability Culture:
- Drives the uncompromising commitment to ethical and moral principles demonstrated by the highest standards of professionalism in reaching the highest standard of performance and achieving results in support of the Commission’s mandate, objectives and aspirations.
Learning Agility and Resilience:
- Creates and enables a learning organisation that promotes and develops personal and professional goals and makes insightful career planning decisions to achieve (or alter) these goals.
- Has resilience and ability to sustain energy levels under pressure and to cope with disruptive changes and adapt.
- Communicating with impact:
- Projects authority, credibility and influences external executive decision makers to achieve substantive goals
- Negotiates to find mutually acceptable solutions and recognizes the impact of alternative courses of action
- Capacity to communicate authentically to maintaining trust and buy-in when responding to competing demands and volatility.
YOU MAY WANT TO APPLY FOR:
- Creates new concepts that are not obvious to others to think through issues and / or resolve problems.
Job Knowledge Sharing:
- Fosters and enables a knowledge and information-rich culture through engaging with thought leaders within and outside the Commission.
Drive for Results and Impact:
- Drives high performance standards from goal creation to continuous improvement
- Commits significant resources and / or time (in the face of uncertainty) to improve performance, reach a challenging goal and implements innovative solutions
- Establishes clear responsibilities and processes for monitoring, communicating progress, and measuring results.
- Develops new insights into situations; questions conventional approaches; encourages new ideas and innovations; designs and implements new or cutting-edge programs / processes for the overall performance of the organization and the portfolio.
- Respect for Diversity and Teamwork
- Think Africa Above all
- Transparency and Accountability
- Integrity and Impartiality
- Efficiency and Professionalism
- Information and Knowledge Sharing.
Application Closing Date
17hrs (5 pm) Addis Ababa Time, 4th September, 2020.
YOU MAY WANT TO APPLY FOR:
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click Here to Start Application